Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fall Time: Treatments done

It has been a busy summer extracting a lot of honey and preparing the girls for the fall. A few days ago there was a lot of action at the hives because it was a nice day.
These four hives have taken in more than 120 lbs of sugar in the form of 2:1 syrup(sugar:water). This is an incredible amount. Now the hives are really heavy, which is going to be good for winter survival.
Lots of activity
Some drones are still around?!
Took off my custom mouse guard to let the bees clean out.
Broken hive stand! Collapsed under 200+ lbs per hive.

Moldy Wax? Too much moisture in hive.
Since the hive stand collapsed in the summer, I think this caused both hives to have extra moisture. I fixed the stand and placed it on some cement blocks. These bees really worked hard this year.
Fixed the hive stand so that the hives are off the ground.
Sorry to my few readers for the excessively long time between posts. The outdoor work is almost done! All the treatments are done for my hives now and I will be wrapping them in the next weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment