Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Oddball Queen?

I was inspecting a colony which I have found to have an odd brood pattern. I initially was concerned with this hive because it has had a fairly poor brood pattern. What I have done to 'fix' this problem was to force the queen to stay in the bottom box by using a queen excluder.
Poor brood pattern
This poor brood pattern is what I had seen first. It is quite discouraging. I have also noticed a lot of chalkbrood on the landing board in the mornings that I check. Then the next frame baffled me.
Great brood pattern
Crazy that the next frame of brood was so good! What the heck is going on here? This really does not make sense though.
Queen feeding herself!?!
I found the queen and it appeared as if she was laying eggs and feeding herself by plunging her head into some cells of honey. Maybe she was just trying to hide from me, but she did not seem to be that scared. It looks like her entourage is pretty confused with her antics.

Here is what I think may be the issue:
- When I did my splits, I may have took too many nurse bees out of the mix and so there were not enough bees to maintain the day-to-day operations. (I always thought that field bees or other bees quickly filled in the necessary gaps).

- The Queen may be laying in a odd pattern. This would make for bees emerging in odd sequences.

- The bees may be very hygenic and they are removing any bees which have mites with them in the cells. Not sure about this one.

- The humid weather may have caused chalkbrood.

Any commments are most welcomed. I also noticed that these bees are consistantly aggressive. I may just want to change out the queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment