Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Canada Post killing your buzz?

It appears as though the Canada Post is the latest thorn in the side of beekeepers. Everyone knows the importance of the handling of queen bees. If you read through the article you will hear how many beekeepers and bee suppliers are in a bit of a pickle for not being able to ship reliably. If the package gets stuck in the mail, the queen will perhaps perish, which would not be good for business obviously!


I was at Fergusons' apiary this week to pick up queen cells; I am working on the post for this adventure.  They are out of the way for me but I am satisfied with their stock. They have Buckfast honey bees. The most important thing is that the bees are quite hearty and very gentle. Having constantly angry bees is discouraging. Actually, I would say that I would not keep bees if they were always aggressive.

Take a look at the Toronto Star article and draw your own conclusions. The woman in the picture was part of the University of Guelph Tech transfer (bee crew).

TheStar: Canada Post Strike putting honey crops at risk?

No comments:

Post a Comment