Thursday, November 18, 2010

News Article: 40% of Canadian honey fail chemical residue test

The Canadian Food Inspection agency claims that 4 out of 10 jars of honey show elevated levels of chemical residue. They say that 61% of honey complied with the federal chemical residue requirements. These requirements are 0.1ppm (part per million); which by rights is a considerably high standard compared to other food products.

The culprit? Primarily bee relaxing chemicals! I never quite understood that. I am always careful not even to use my smoker on or near any honey so that it does not take any weird tastes. I have always wondered how people can use chemicals to chase their bees out of their honey supers without the honey being affected. The not so simple solution? Use a clearing board. These clearing boards, I built my own version of a modified quebec escape and it works very well, except that it takes more work to put it in under the supers and then take it out afterwards.

The other culprit may be imported honey, which should be banned if you ask me. Our country makes more honey than we consume, yet cusumers do not want to pay for the quality.

I guess it is just one more thing I can put on my honey labels.

Read the article for yourself:

Montreal Gazette: Nothing sweet about this honey

No comments:

Post a Comment