Thursday, April 15, 2010

Formic Acid pads on!

Today I followed through with my instincts and treated both of my full hives which are located at my house. I did a quick inspection for both hives and then put my spacer piece and my Mite Away II formic acid pads on top of both brood chambers. I closed the top of the hive so that air does not flow freely. I also completely opened the front of the hive. All of those things are per the instructions.

When going through the green hive, which was by yesterdays count; the most heavily infected, I found a frame which I had forgotten about. For some reason the bees built this comb as one sided with a bee space behind. You probably should take a better look at the picture bellow to understand. Anyways, since the bees decided what size of cell that they wanted, they made it in drone cell. Which may be a source of all those mites. The mites love/prefer drone cells because they have more room. This is a ton a drones! This is a pretty good indication that the hive is vigorous. They do not start to raise drones until they are comfortable with their stores; I hope this does not mean that they plan on swarming.
 I took the opportunity to rip out all of the drone brood on this frame. This will automatically kill a lot of mites. Drones do not do anything but eat honey and breed queens; and I do not want either of those two things happening yet! I will have to see if they start putting comb on this frame properly. I may have to try to re-coat it with wax. The other side had young brood in it so I left it.
The formic acid pads will be removed on May 6th. They sit on the hive for 3 weeks. I tossed the spent wax in the field. You should always throw out wax far way from your hives so you do not encourage pests to seek out your hives.

No comments:

Post a Comment