Sunday, March 14, 2010

Winter is over!

Environment Canada is claiming that winter in south western Ontario is officially over. They have also said that it was the driest winter on record (in the last 63 yrs). This is setting things up for a bit of a disaster. I really hope that this is not a super dry summer or my bees are going to suffer; oh yeah, and it is going to also make farming more difficult.

As you can see from previous entries, at the begining of the week their was a lot of snow. In four days there is practically none left! Thanks to a large municipal drain that we installed last fall, I did not have to spend two days scooping up water in my basement and there is no standing water in my field.

The last 2 days have been super windy! I went out to check my hives and to my surprise, this is what I saw. The wind popped out one peg. I popped it back in and things were fine. I am quite happy with my little trellis. It blocks the wind so well and I really think it is necessary due to the location. The sides need to be touched up a bit. The replacement wood pieces for the sides and back are made but need to be stained and installed. I figured I could do that in the spring time so that they would be less weathered.

No comments:

Post a Comment