Sunday, May 1, 2011

Queen spotting and hive reduction

Yesterday I checked out the hives at my place. Lots of pollen was coming in. I gave my strong hive an additional 1lb pollen patty.
Lots of pollen coming in today.
I did an inspection and found the queen! She was on a frame with lots of freshly laid eggs. This was all very exciting. She was laying eggs in the middle of the top box. She is the daughter of my "super hive" queen that succumbed to my poorly designed ventilation box this winter.
Dark coloured queen!
My green hive is an entirely different story. It is still suffering. I opened up the hive on a nice day and saw that they still were only covering 3 frames. The honey that was inside was going stale and there was almost some mold starting in the corners. I took the 3 frames of bees (in which I found their queen) and placed all of the bees in a 5 frame american nucleus hive. I took one monster of an uncapped frame of honey and placed it in the hive. This smaller arrangement should be easier on the bees. They will have a smaller volume of air to keep warm. Hopefully the queen is able to start laying so that they can get out of their current rut.
Nucleus hive replaces the big hive.


No comments:

Post a Comment