Sunday, March 11, 2012

They're alive! I'm Alive...

Yesterday was -5C and with the wind it felt like -10C. It was pretty miserable. But today was absolutely beautiful! It was not very windy and I saw the temperature get up to +14C! What a difference. The bees noticed the change of weather as well.

I've been neglecting the blog because I have not been a ble to get into the hives and see the girls. But today I was able to finally get my head back into the hives.
Snow almost gone, bees everywhere.
They were out and about.
A bit closer view of the bees going for cleansing flights and cleaning out the dead.
All the hives were active. No dead hives!
Insane weather. It looks like the bees are going to get out this week.
My other 2 hives at my parents place apparently were quite busy as well. That means that all 6 of my hives have made it through the winter! I opened up a couple of hives and they were heavy with honey still, which is excellent. I definitely do not want to start feeding them.

I do not have any extra equipment, so I am going to have to start getting that together so that I can make splits in the spring. My problem with making splits is that I will have too many hives to manage. Six hives is plenty of work for me; this is a hobby... isn't it? Also, if my hives do as well this year as they did last year (210 lbs per hive), then I would be doomed! How do you sell so much honey?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment