Thursday, March 22, 2012

1st Inspection: Everything looks good...so far

I have been super busy on the farm and at work these days but I took a half hour to take a look inside some of my hives at home and here are the pictures I got. Unfortunately my camera had to use flash, if not I think the pictures would have turned out better.
Queen & entourage
I found the queen and she relaxed and started laying. So, take a look at her and her group of bees. It was quite the sight. I have not had the chance to witness this too many times, glad I got to take some photos.
Queen with abdomen down in cell, laying down an egg.
So I found the queen in my first two hives. For the second hive, I actually found her on the first frame I pulled out!
My top boxes also seemed to still be quite heavy with honey. This is a mostly good thing. I imagine that the weather is going to get cooler again. We are breaking records in my area. The average temperature for this time of year is 5C; and we have just had 3 days in a row with above 25C! Just crazy. The bees are loving it, and so are farmers. We are itching to get out in the fields.

In my third hive, I could not find the queen but I did find some tell tale signs of her.
Larvae on comb between the boxes

Capped cells and various stages around

Day old eggs! Can you spot them?
I am so far very impressed with my girls. They have a very early start on the year. Unfortunately I have not been able to keep up with the equipment, so I am going to have to put in a couple of days building more frames, bottom boards, inner covers so that I can prepare for splitting the hives.

No comments:

Post a Comment