Thursday, October 21, 2010

Snow! What the heck??

Yes, we have some overnight flurries tonight. Which is quite weird but not uncommon for south western Ontario.
Christmas much?
Hand-packed snow man
I was checking the long term forecast and it was looking pretty bleak. Luckily my treatments all end on Saturday. So I will remove my formic acid pad from my weaker hive and add on a hive top feeder to see if they will take some feed in. My two other hives which I have at my home property have some 42 day old Apivar strips in.
Long term grim forecast
I will be removing my various mite treatments and then I intend to do an Oxalic Acid treatment (Trickle Method). This is recommended by the ministry of agriculture in the fall when there is the least amount of brood rearing; typically after a formic acid treatment. It involves mixing 35g of Oxalic Acid dihydrate crystals per 1L of 50% syrup. Then using a syringe, apply 50mL onto the cluster of bees. In a two box colony, apply 25mL on each box. It is supposed to be done on a cool day where the majority of the bees would be in the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment