Sunday, October 24, 2010

The last treatment: Oxalic Acid

It has been a long and tedious fall treatment, but I was able to get a good morning of weather and my mite treatments were finishing on the Friday and the Saturday. Saturday I took my Apivar strips out of two home hives and treated them with 50 cc of sugar syrup + oxalic acid by dripping the oxalic acid directly on the bees.
Oxalic acid and sugar syrup (50cc)
 The bellow picture shows a bee cluster. They are clearly more concentrated in the center of the box. You can also see two Apivar strips. They require 42 days in the brood box to work to their full potential. Apivar is a slow release insecticide to kill mites which are on the bees and in the cells.
Bee cluster: Apivar strips ready to be removed.
 This is actually a poor picture of my hives at my parents farm. The bees were bringing in some pollen. There were also some capped brood in these hives. They also received the acid treatment.
Old style landing board and new style.
The one hive seemed to have a fair bit of k-wing. This is the hive which I caught as a swarm. Their queen is old (age unknown actually). The bees also seem to be fairly aggressive. In the spring time I intend to replace this queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment