Monday, July 19, 2010

Chaos

I have finished bottling and started selling my first crop of honey already. It looked awesome and tasted delicious. This is by far the most honey I have ever bottled at a time but since I started selling it before I even finished bottling it; I am still not quite sure what the tally is.
Wax and other debris is filtered out of the honey before bottling.
Double filtering from a coarse to finer final filter
In other news; I just checked my hives tonight and the white hive did not have a laying queen! If you recall the last post, I recombined a caught swarm with the rest of the hive body in an attempt to re-introduce the queen to the hive. It apparently did not work. I currently just added my spare nucleus hive on top to combine it with the white hive in the hopes of its queen taking over. I do not even know if that will work either; since they appeared to also be queenless and to have recently swarmed!
Newspaper combine on left side

It looks like my best option may be to buy a mated queen and to introduce her as soon as possible.

The green hive appears to have a laying queen but she has not laid many eggs yet. It appears that she has just started laying in the last couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment