Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Nucleus Hives : Queens Laying!

Things have been really busy around the farm. I was ready to give up on my nucleus hives but an inspection tonight shows that both hives have laying queens. The eggs are very young, meaning that the queens just started to lay in the last couple of days.
4-frame nuc box
In other news, I found some evidence of a skunk going around my hives so I placed a skunk trap near my boxes last weekend. I did not catch anything yet. I think I am going to have to try something other than peanut butter on bread ( a suggested skunk bait).
Skunk trap
The hive which I created my nuc boxes from was very heavily congested so I spread out their existing frames and added another 9-frame box on top. I added 6 brand new frames into the hive and 3 used frames which were partially drawn out. I hope this keeps the bees busy and avoids a swarm. A swarm cell was found on a frame and I kept it in case that my nucs would not work. I must go back into the hive and cut it out as soon as possible!

Another deep super added to my 'swarm' hive
The next order of business is to place my new laying queen onto my blue hive so that the hive can start doing better.

No comments:

Post a Comment